KS News Desk
Baramulla, Jan 06: Chief Education Officer (CEO) Baramulla on Tuesday said that the department will ensure full compliance with all government orders banning unauthorized private coaching by government school teachers.
Responding to a question about alleged violations of the government order prohibiting teachers and lecturers from offering private tuitions, CEO Abdul Rashid reiterated that strict adherence to the ban will be enforced.
Sources revealed that despite the clear prohibition on government teachers engaging in private tuitions or coaching without prior permission, some faculty members are reportedly conducting early morning classes at private coaching centres located in a well-known complex in the town.
It is pertinent to mention that Deputy Commissioner Baramulla has already constituted a committee to regulate and monitor coaching centres operating in the district, with a particular focus on registration, fee structure, and basic facilities. (KNO)
New Delhi, May 12: A massive protest organised by the National Students' Union of India (NSUI) broke out near the Shastri Bhawan on Tuesday, against the alleged paper leak in NEET-UG this year. The exam was held on May 3, following which allegations of paper leak surfaced, triggering investigations by the Rajasthan Special Operations Group (SOG) and central agencies. Earlier, the National Testing Agency (NTA) announced the cancellation of NEET-UG 2026, and said the examination will be re-conducted on dates to be notified separately. In a statement, the NTA said the decision was taken with the approval of the Government of India in the interest of maintaining transparency and preserving trust in the national examination system.
Srinagar, Jan 8: Contractual faculty members working in government degree colleges of Jammu and Kashmir Higher Education Department (HED) have expressed strong resentment over what they term as a glaring disparity in salaries, demanding revision of their pay in line with University Grants Commission (UGC) norms and regularisation of their services. The faculty, many of whom hold PhDs and are qualified through NET, SET and JRF, said they have been denied UGC-recommended pay scales despite discharging academic responsibilities equivalent to their regular counterparts. âHundreds of highly qualified scholars have been pushed into silent suffering. For years, we have been assured that our pay revision is under consideration, but nothing has materialised so far,â said Dr Ishfaq Gowhar, a contractual faculty member. Earlier, Director Colleges J&K had acknowledged the legitimacy of the facultyâs demand, stating that while the issue was genuine, its implementation involved significant financial implications due to the large number of contractual appointments. âWe are aware that they deserve salary enhancement, but the number of contractual faculty is huge and it has financial implications,â he earlier said. Dr Gowhar pointed out that contractual lecturers, who form the backbone of the higher education system, continue to work on a fixed monthly honorarium of Rs 28,000, which has remained unchanged for nearly a decade. âThe irony is that a Class IV employee with a Class 10 qualification draws a salary exceeding Rs 50,000, while doctorate-holding teachers engaged in teaching, mentoring and academic research are paid a fraction of that,â he said. He added that institutions such as SKUAST-K, University of Kashmir and Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST) have implemented revised UGC pay scales, but the Higher Education Department has failed to extend similar treatment to its contractual faculty. Dr Gowhar said the demand for âequal work, equal payâ gets prominently featured in election campaigns, raising hopes among contractual teachers. âPromises were made and slogans echoed during elections, but once the process ended, our voices were reduced to silence. Even meeting officials now feels impossible,â he said. He said contractual faculty were not seeking privileges but dignity, fairness and recognition for their service. The faculty appealed to the Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and the Education Minister to intervene and take concrete steps towards addressing their long-pending demands. âThis issue is not merely about salaries. It is about survival, justice and dignity in the classrooms of Jammu and Kashmir,â he said.
Jammu, Jan 18: Minister for Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs, Transport, Youth Services & Sports, Information Technology, ARI & Trainings, Satish Sharma Sunday said that the remarkable achievements of Jammu and Kashmirâs youth are a powerful testament to what can be accomplished through fair opportunities, modern infrastructure and unwavering government support. Addressing the gathering during the SRIJAN initiative conference, the Minister stated that the success of young athletes clearly demonstrates that with the right ecosystem in place, the UT youth are capable of overcoming every challenge and competing confidently at national and international platforms. Highlighting the core focus areas of the SRIJAN programme, Satish Sharma said "the initiative is playing a transformative role in strengthening the sports landscape of the Union Territory by expanding grassroots sports infrastructure across Jammu, Kashmir and other regions. This is being done by ensuring transparent, merit-based selections free from any bias; integrating sports with education and skill development; promoting greater participation of girls and enhancing inclusivity and establishing sports as a dignified and sustainable career option with viable livelihood opportunities, he said0. He reaffirmed the governmentâs firm commitment and said that sustained efforts were underway to create international-standard sports facilities, including modern cricket stadiums in Jammu and Srinagar. He also highlighted the strengthening of Khelo India Centres, promotion of traditional sports such as Dangal and enhanced collaboration with the Union Ministry to transform Jammu & Kashmir into a national sports hub. âAs Sports Minister, I assure our athletes that the government stands firmly with them. Our focus is not only on infrastructure creation but also on nurturing talent, discipline and confidence among the youth,â he said. The Minister lauded the determination, resilience and dedication of young sportspersons, describing them as the living legacy of the SRIJAN mission. He urged them to continue training with passion, remain disciplined and dream fearlessly, assuring them of full institutional support at every step of their journey. Satish Sharma expressed hope that the conference would serve as the foundation of a new era where every talented child, from the mountains of Kashmir to the plains of Jammu, is provided an equal opportunity to shine on the global stage. He concluded by reiterating the governmentâs resolve to make sports a powerful vehicle for youth empowerment, social inclusion and regional pride in Jammu and Kashmir. Director General, Youth Services and Sports, Anuradha Gupta and prominent persons from different fields and states along with senior officers of the Youth Services and Sports Department, were also present on the occasion.
Arshid Ahmad Malikmalik121arshid@gmail.comThe serene valley of Pahalgam known for its breathtaking landscapes,was shaken to its core by a brutal and inhuman attack that claimed innocent lives and left the nation in shock.On 22 April 2025 afternoon,a group of terrorists in Pahalgam,J&K leaving 26 tourists dead and many more injured.The attack was widely condemned by people across the country with many leaders and citizens expressing their outrage and grief.Even just after the attack the people from every nook and corner of Kashmir mourned and strongly condemned this brutal and inhuman act and we saw candlelight protests from different places of Kashmir in solidarity with the victim families who lost their loved ones in this Coward Act.Besides, we saw some heartwarming stories of Kashmiris helping tourists during this horrific attack.Some Kashmiri Youth took the initiative to help tourists, providing them with medical care and transportation to safe areas.Their actions showed that even in times of crisis,there are individuals who prioritize humanity over adversity.Likewise, Aadil Hussain Shah a pony rider and a sole breadwinner in his home lost his life while attempting to protect tourists by tackling gun men.Another example of bravery was demonstrated by a Kashmiri shawl vendor, Sajad Ahmad Bhat who risked his life to help injured tourists.He carried some to safety on his back and provided water to those in need.Moreover,taxi drivers and hotel owners offered free rides and services to tourists, guiding them to safety.These acts highlights Kashmiri community's commitment to humanity, hospitality and unity even in the face of adversity.These acts of kindness serve as a powerful counter-narrative to the misconception that Kashmiris support to condone violence.Instead, they highlight the community's resilience, empathy and dedication to peace.In the aftermath of this excruciating attack, certain media outlets of our nation,often referred to as "Godi Media" left no stone unturned to sensationalize the stories to grab the attention.They often spread misinformation and promote biased narratives leading to polarization and erosion of trust in the media.In the wake of this attack "Godi Media" claimed that the terrorists selectively targeted Hindus after checking their names.However,the list of victims revealed that 15 out of 26 killed were Muslims, debunking this false narrative.By spreading this unverified claims,these TV Channels aimed to fuel communal tensions and polarization, which could lead to further violence and hatred.This behaviour aligns with a disturbing trend where sections of the media amplify divisive narratives to serve political agendas.Although the tourists who were here and witnessed this attack themselves praised local Kashmiris for their heroic approach in helping them to save their lives.Moreover, the tourists in different parts of the valley are claiming that they are safe and secure.They wanted to convey the message to other parts of India that there is nothing like that which godi media is trying to show through different news channels.They are just spreading misinformation leading to communal violence in the nation.On the next day of this attack,one of the TV Channel of godi media, ABP news anchor Chitra Tripathi faced protests at Ghantaghar Lal chowk after locals said that she was trying to spread fake news about the attack.The protestors including tourism groups,lawyers and civil society members criticized the media particularly for its emphasis on communal issues rather than holding the government accountable.The protests saw slogans condemning terrorism and advocating for Hindu-Muslim unity.The protestors also expressed frustration over the media's selective reporting and the censorship of local voices.From common people to the leaders of the Government in Kashmir, everyone slammed "Godi Media" and hold their anchors responsible for communal disharmony in the nation.With their biased and inflammatory coverage, Kashmiris living across India especially students have been heckled,harrased and faced threats by far-right Hindu groups or even their classmates.From Uttarakhand, Punjab, to Uttar Pradesh, landlords are pushing Kashmiri tenants out; and shopkeepers are refusing to trade with them.Several Kashmiri students are sleeping at airports as they try to make their way home.However,It's essential to hold such media outlets accountable for their actions and promote responsible journalism that prioritizes fact-checking, balance, and accuracy.By doing so, we can work towards creating a more informed and compassionate society where communal harmony and peace are valued.The author has done masters in Political Science from University of Kashmir and is currently a Socio-Political Activist and Chairperson of Liberal Youth Club Soibugh.Â
Srinagar, Jan 12: The Jammu and Kashmir Board of School Education (JKBOSE) will declare the result of class 10th and 12th examination on January 14 of, 2026 (Wednesday), minister for education Sakina Itoo said on Monday. Minister for education Sakina Itoo said the government has decided to declare the result of both the classes-10th and 12th on the same day. "We understand that students have been waiting for the results. So we decided that result of both the classes will be declared on Wednesday (January 16 of 2926)," Sakina Itoo said. She said the meeting of the Result Declaration Committee (RDC) will be convened by the Secretary JKBOE along with the members-Director School Education (DSE) Kashmir and Jammu division besides the joint secretaries as well. "We will give the administrative approval to the result instead of getting approved by the chairman," she said. The announcement comes amid the delay in appointment of chairman JKBOSE as the position is lying vacant for the last one year. "After declaration of the results, we will also appoint the permanent chairman for JKBOSE as well," education minister said. An official from JKBOSE said the class 1oth result will be declared on Wednesday morning followed by the declaration of result of class 12th students in late afternoon on the same day. As per the official figures, 94783 students- 68804 from Kashmir and 25,224 students from winter zone areas of Jammu division besides 660 students from Kargil and 95 from Leh district registered for the class 10th JKBOSE examination this year. Also, the examination for class 11th and 12th students was scheduled from November 19 and November 8 of 2025 respectively. Approximately, 81622 students â 64001 from Jammu and 17621 from winter zone areas of Jammu have registered for class 11th examination while 70117 studentsâ56423 from Kashmir and 13694 from winter zone areas of Jammu have registered for class 12th examination.
Islamabad, Jan 8: A leading international human rights organisation condemned the convictions and severe prison sentences issued in absentia by an Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Pakistan against a group of Pakistani journalists and political commentators residing abroad. The statement came after Islamabad's ATC on January 2 sentenced YouTuber Adil Raja, former army official Syed Akbar Hussain, and journalists Wajahat Saeed Khan, Sabir Shakir, Moeed Pirzada, Shaheen Sehbai, and Haider Mehdi to double life imprisonment in cases linked to "digital terrorism". The cases are reportedly based on allegations that the accused used online platforms to incite, facilitate and amplify attacks against state institutions during the May 9, 2023, unrest following the arrest of former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan. Citing credible information, the International Human Rights Foundation (IHRF) stated that those targeted by the Pakistani court were not notified of charges or proceedings, denied access to evidence, and afforded no meaningful opportunity to appear or defend themselves. "Such actions raise grave concerns regarding due process, judicial independence, and compliance with Pakistan's constitutional guarantees and its obligations under international human-rights law, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)," the IHRF stated. Expressing concern, the rights body stated that proceedings against the Pakistani journalists and political commentators, which took place amid wider international alarm over recent constitutional changes in Pakistan, risk undermining democratic governance and fundamental freedoms. The IHRF cited the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Turk, who recently warned that Pakistan's hastily adopted 26th constitutional amendment seriously undermines judicial independence and raises concerns regarding military accountability and the rule of law. Similarly, the International Commission of Jurists has described Pakistan's 26th Constitutional Amendment as "a blow to judicial independence and the rule of law, warning that it increases political influence over judicial appointments and administration". More recently, the IHRF noted that several media reports highlighted further constitutional measures that critics argue curtail the Pakistani Supreme Court's constitutional role while expanding military authority and immunity -- developments that intensify concerns over institutional checks and balances. According to the IHRF, the use of counterterrorism frameworks against journalists and dissenting voices -- particularly those living in exile -- reflects a broader and troubling pattern of judicial harassment and transnational repression. "Legal processes conducted without transparency or basic procedural safeguards cannot be regarded as legitimate adjudication and risk being misused to intimidate critics beyond national borders," it stated. The rights body called on the international community -- including press-freedom organisations and relevant UN mechanisms -- to closely monitor these developments in Pakistan and engage where necessary to protect journalists facing "politically motivated persecution". (IANS)